People with Disabilities
The duties of the DRC include
- Helping customers find and use programs that boost their abilities to find employment, or keep a job
- Aid customers in becoming self-sufficient through work Cooperate with local agencies to increase job placements
- Build bridges with agencies and organizations to expand job related services
- Provide access to a computer equipped with specialized hardware as well as applications to assist those who have visual impairment.
The DRC also serves as a resource to the workforce investment community to ensure the availability of comprehensive knowledge on federal, state, local and private programs that impact the ability of an individual to enter and remain in the workforce.
The Ulster County Career Center is a Social Security Ticket to Work Employment Network. Ticket to Work is an employment support program for Social Security Disability beneficiaries.
Goals of the program:
- Finding employment or increasing their work hours
- Increase opportunities and choices obtain employment
- Provide access to vocational rehabilitation, support services from providers, employers and other organizations.
By definition, an individual is disabled under The American Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments act of 2008(ADAAA) if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities. A major life activities includes but not limited to caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, speaking, seeing, breathing, hearing, learning, reading, eating, sleeping, concentrating, walking, thinking, standing, lifting, bending, communicating and working; has a record of such a disability or is regarded as having such a disability.
Visit www.yourdreamyourteam.com for additional resources to assist you in your job search
Contact your local Social Security Administration for information on the TTWK Program or visit Social Security Online at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/.
If you have any question or require further assistance please contact your local DRC, Michael Thomason at: 845-340-3177 or mtho[at]co.ulster.ny[dot]us.